Sunday, June 14, 2015

What The Tarot Says

Part of the original series, "What the Tarot Says," is a collection of 2.5in x 2.5in miniature shadow boxes inspired by different tarot decks, and incorporating images clipped from unique cards. This series was completed in 2011. 

The tarot and it's symbols have been an inspiration in songwriting as well. Whether it be Rider, Bicycle playing cards, or a vintage deck, the symbols appear in all avenues of life and have inspired my songs If We Were Cards, St. Temperance and Trump 22. 

The Sun


The Lovers 
A snippet of folklore that has lodged itself forever in my brain: To conjure a dream of your future love place The Lovers card under your pillow on the night of the full moon. 


The Star


In Our Cards


Three of Swords


Prosperity 


The Sun II


The Moon


Beauty


IX of Pentacles
Don't you be fooled, I'm no queen. Nine of Pentacles if anything. I see the stars up in the trees, distracted by the birds that land on me. But the next time I pass you by, I won't be so rushed, no I'll take my time. Give you a smile, my sweet fool. Just watch where you're going babe, you might fall down. That rose you carry just might have thorns.  
-from "Trump 22."


Our Hearts Gave a Howl 
Inspired by The Moon Tarot card, this image was cut from the Moon in a vintage deck. In almost all moon cards you'll find a lobster somewhere in there, and I just happened to have a tiny, silver lobster (don't ask why, heaven knows...)


The High Priestess 


IV of Wands


Paradise


Nine of Pentacles IX



Ace of Cups
When playing cards were created the symbol of the cup became that of a heart, wands became clubs, swords became spades and Pentacles became diamonds.  


Vanity


The Lovers II


The Empress


Secret


Journey


The Lovers III


There was a man who called me the 14th Tarot card, one foot in the water one foot on the ground, angel wings and a halo crown, pouring from one cup into another, one man's saint, another man's lover.
-from the song "St. Temperance."

All excerpts from songs are written and copyright Clair Anna Rose Stoeckley

No comments:

Post a Comment