Sunday, June 14, 2015

"Big" Shadow Boxes

After making a few hundred tiny and then some teensy pieces, I began moving into "large" work. Large meaning, bigger than 3 inches square. Some bigger than my hand, but none bigger than a 10 gallon fish tank. I'm not really an inches and centimeters type of measurer, so I made up my own system. 

Look Inside My Heart
Using stolen wasp hive, a boat from Long Beach, miniature dolls with cat faces glued to them, and hundreds of hand made ribbon roses I made while on some netfilx TV series binge, and wedding swans found at an antique store in Pismo Beach,  Look Inside My Heart has a working music box and more lace than your grandma's tearoom. This piece is made from a center drawer of a desk.


Detail:



Indecision 

This piece was made in a foot-long square.  In the bottom left corner is my wisdom tooth that was extracted from my face one fine September day in 2009, which put a damper on my motorcycle ride home from the dentist. Teeth represent decisions in life, so it seemed fitting to have it in this piece that reflects what I imagine the inside of my head to be like when I'm in a particularly indecisive mood. 


There's Mermaids In My Medicine Cabinet

This piece was made from a teak medicine cabinet I found at a garage sale, it's medicine cabinet sized or about as big as a 10 gallon fish tank, but not as deep. The mermaids are vintage salt and pepper shakers that go for about $150 on Ebay, so of course I glued them into a paper cut out scene and glued hair to their heads with hats. The little ship is from Long Beach. 


Frog House
This piece is about as big as my palm and a half a pinky in depth. 


Merbabe
Another vintage Cottonwood antique store find glued to other stuff. As big as my hand.


A Mermaid's Bath
Inspired by my favorite bathroom I've ever bathed in at my "Other Mother"'s House in Long Beach. As big as a large novel.


Girl's Best Friend


Self Portrait 


Siren Dreams
The first shadow box I ever made in 2010. 8x 10 in. Floating freshwater pearls, wax, found objects, some of my hair (don't get creeped out, I just have so much of it.)


No comments:

Post a Comment